Friday, August 21, 2015

Three Season Room Part 1

Let's start at the beginning. The three season room!

Day One in the 3 Season Room

This room really sold us. We saw so much potential here. The rest of our house has 4 windows. FOUR. One small window in the kitchen, One tall window in the living room, one in the guest room and one in our 'master' bedroom. The other bedroom that currently is an office had a window at one time but they replaced it with a door instead. It has come in handy with a dog since there is that access at the back of the house but I still need windows. We do have one small window in the laundry room in the basement but it doesn't count! In other words, this room of windows is seriously the BEST. BONUS there is a small cat door leading to this room and that's Todd & Pipers jam.

Cat door- Todd says, let me in!


We started by replacing the subfloor and adding luan and trying to level the floor before installing flooring. Chris and his dad got down to work! This room is on top of a deck and it isn't the least bit level. The posts under the deck in the middle are higher than the rest of deck. It isn't noticeable on a day to day basis, but it did not make tackling this project easy for my perfectionist husband.

Chris after the luan was installed and self-leveling stuff (Forgive me, it was 3 years ago!)

On top of the subfloor Chris put down some BIN primer to cover up the TERRIBLE cat smell. 

Note- not from these cuties Piper and Toddles. They wanted to come in and check it out.


After this Chris started installing our floor tiles. We were and still are pretty cheap. We had no real idea what we were doing or how to do it so we went with something that would hold up, be durable since it's an indoor/outdoor space and easy to install. We picked parquet style plastic tiles. They were self-adhesive but Chris still used glue on the floor to help hold them in place. He likes to shake it up so he installed them on a diagonal pattern just to dress it up a bit. He's got a good eye!


Installing into the night! 


He took a break to see if he could still balance on his elbows, and of course he can that cutie of mine. 


WOW. Night and Day makes quite a difference. 

After the floor was installed which took a few hours and some cuts but since they are flexible plastic that part was pretty simple which was great because we didn't have any power tools at this point so he used a utility knife. Later that summer we painted! Or I painted, The hubs isn't so much for paint or mess. I decided on a deep yellow, gold color wanting to aim for a India theme with deep golds, purples, reds.
Looks great with that green door.

Chris was concerned that the sun we get in that room would loosen the glue on the tiles so I did my research via pinterest and this blog and found a tutorial on using Conduit in place of curtain rods. Those can be so damn expensive and yeah, again we are cheap. Or frugal? Maybe that's a more flattering word. I went to Lowes, and had them cut it to size. The clips to hold the conduit was almost as expensive as the curtains themselves. I found myself at World Market and found a bunch of clearance curtains that worked for me! To fill in the gaps I bought a lot of their sheers since buying 8 curtain panels was going to cost way more than I wanted to spend. In the end? Happy accident! They looked purposeful and beautiful!


I still have these curtains today, they look amazing!
I did not spray paint the conduit mostly because I was lazy. Do people really look at the rod? I hope not, judge away friends and family.

Since this post is becoming a lot longer than I intended, I think it's best to add a part two. Which is exciting just thinking of all that we have accomplished! This room has been fun to play with and style and it is for sure my favorite room in the house, and these felines of mine cannot get enough.

Catch ya on the flip side homes,
T Bomb

No comments:

Post a Comment