Thursday, August 11, 2016

Kitchen Reno Part 1

Part 1 in our kitchen reno! I'm going to try to do less talky more pictures. Our kitchen reno spanned 3 years because that's how we roll over here in paycheck to paycheck town. We started with a pretty blank generic builder grade slate.
Move in state
It was just UGLY. And BORING. The dishwasher was broken and the knobs looked like marshmallows and what the hell is with the yellow outlets the 90's? Okay- moving on. My first idea was to paint the cabinets. Pinterest was a thing and super popular so the DIYer in me was living all day every day just pinning post after post on how to do it and what to use. Before I actually jumped in and painted anything I switched out our hardware because every blogger tells you to do this.



So here we are with some new knobs and a new dishwasher. We added some mini white shelves and some blinds and a bunch of mess. I am not a photographer so bear with me one thing is consistent with me and this blog, I take pics but I don't clean up or stage them hah.

There will be many changes after this point, we removed the upper cabinet beside the floaters and put legs on it and re-used it as a bottom cabinet and a holder for our new countertop. We eventually put in an above the range microwave and raised those cabinets and we built floating shelves not once, but twice where the little ones are pictures here.

TRIMMING up those flat fronts


Chalkboard Paint for the inside because I am RAD
Door front
Painting the cabinets wasn't really a big deal, it was just time consuming. I didn't sand these cabinet doors or cabinet frames down since they are not really wood. More like a laminate. I cleaned them up though. I also wanted to add a frame, to be more of a shaker style. Shaker style just added a bit more dimension instead of just the flat doors.
Another award winning photo from my old ipod


I did buy good expensive paint because sometimes you just can't go cheap. I bought ProClassic at Sherwin Williams and used a small foam roller. Protip! Sherwin Williams will often have 30% off a gallon or even 40% off just watch and wait.
PRIMED
Oh I guess I did prime the cabinets. I definitely didn't take anything out because who has time for that prep! Not necessary. After the prime I added the paint. I literally googled "Best white paint for cabinets" to get the uppers and picked a neutral-ish gray for the lowers or bottoms? I would love to tell you the colors but when I recently went back to Sherwin Williams they told me I was wrong when trying to match that upper color to my walls. Again- very successful blogging DIY here 3 years later my memory is quite impressive and super helpful.


After painting the frames & added some drawer pulls
Frames all painted

out of order but out thin floating shelves where we removed the upper cabinet
No I did not paint the inside because basically I don't care. Nobody is going to be staring at the inside of my cabinets but me and I do not mind even a little bit.
Picture of where we removed the upper cabinet


Here's the after picture of the microwave install and the floating shelves painted!

Door fronts on and new DIY window shade
BEFORE:
AFTER! Well phase 1 after

Come back for the amazing part 2.... Butcher block counter tops

No comments:

Post a Comment